Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Appreciate It...


I often say I'm in the business of "love." I consistently get to work with couples that are head over heels for each other and I re-fall in love with my work time and time again. So isn't it fitting that one of the most useful books I've read was the "Five Love Languages!" Where I, and millions of others have found that perhaps that sappy Hallmark card was just the ticket to show care for your sister while was a total insult to your best friend. Upon reading that one of the love-languages is "Gifts."  I gotta be honest my first thought when I read that was: "That's not me, I'm not shallow. I'm a laid-back, don't need much to be happy kinda girl." Well, I sheepishly chuckled to myself (In only a way that you can when reading a book by yourself) (: that one of the examples (which was totally said in sarcasm) was: (paraphrase) You're a gifts person when someone could literally give you a rock and you'd not only be ecstatic but still have it in your dresser drawer.  Well...I have a rock. It's from the "moon." And by that I mean my then hunky boyfriend (now even more handsome husband) went on a trip to Arizona and his gift upon his return to me was this ugly jagged stone that came from the street. Well, I loved it! Only you gifts people will understand that. Okay, here's a more practical one. In college during an extra stressful time again that cute boyfriend of mine came in with a grande Carmel Frappucino (My all time fav!) with writings of love all over the outside of the cup. And not only that but it was hand delivered, as a surprise, in the middle of my class, by him! You see why I kept him!? (: Now some may have needed a pep-talk to get through that week, some may have needed a hug of consolement, While I....Well, I just needed coffee. (:

All this to say that upon finding out that there's a new book out "The Five Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace." with the same premise but in a work-place context I was stoked. And even more excited that the co-author, Dr. Paul White was going to be the key-note speaker at the next event I was shooting.

(Again, I LOVE my job!) (:

It was a breath of fresh air. Amidst me trying to keep brides from last straw breakdowns it was wonderful to learn new ways in which I can show my clients (You guys!) just how much I genuinely appreciate your business, your support, and in all cheesy-ness your friendships along the way. So you should check out the book! Or... if your a business owner may look into having Dr. White come and speak to you all. He's witty, practical, and just may be the missing link to finding appreciation from your clients, co-workers, and employees.

I was telling my parents how my shoot went with Dr. White and all the highlights when my dad says: "Oh yeah, we do that book." My dad runs Oasis Audio where books are made into Audio. So whether you have a long commute and would like to pass the time, or a flight and want to hear it on your ipad you can get it from them!

Here's the link if you wanna check it out:
http://www.oasisaudio.com/product.php?prod=9781598599473

No comments:

Post a Comment