Thursday, September 30, 2010

You're Who...?

One thing I'm super intentional about is really getting to know my couple before the big day. After meetings, an engagement shoot, e-mails, phone calls, the whole nine-yards I'd say I genuinely know my couple. (Which from a photography standpoint allows for wonderfully intimate & personal images which is completely my goal) This is more true than what I expected when I showed up the day of the wedding. That sounded kinda bad but where I'm going with this (keep tracking with me here!) is I walk in to find my worlds totally crossed. You ever see a face that's out of context? You know that you know someone but you can't figure out where or how based on where you're at? It happens to me all the time. I've shot hundreds and hundreds of times and all of a sudden I see someone at a Starbucks, a soccer game, even the airport (True story!) and my brain starts reeling..."How do I know this face!?" Despite the many hours I've talked, met, and shot with this bride and groom it didn't click that I know the groom from outside of the photo world till I saw some of his groomsmen. (Again, the mind reeling) And then it dawned on me....I went to high school with this guy!  Now to be fair our high school was massive and we had nearly 1,000 per grade but still, it all made sense now. So do I really know my couples!? Of course I do. I may not know (or in this case remember) where the couple went to high school, what their favorite movie is, or any in the end random trival facts about my couples. But at the end of the day, what I do know, makes all the difference in the world. I know that Jessica & James are deeply in love and for even just a day trusted me with some really personal moments. And that is why I do what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment