Monday, February 11, 2008

Fitness Barbie

After much huffing on the one flight of stairs that exists in my house I decided to finally join a gym. I was pretty sure the name was Bally's but upon my first arrival i'm now feeling that tele-porting is not a myth and I have found myself in Globo-Gym from the movie "Dodgeball." The walls are lined with steroid powders and appetite suppressants, while the floors are covered with people wearing spandex. That actually brings me to my next point. Many of you I'm sure, took that last comment to mean woman wearing spandex but unfortunately I can't limit that horrific fabric to just that gender. There's few things that are less attractive than Fabio with purple tights grunting his way to the next weight-class. Eww...So to avoid those potentially scaring memories I veer to the other side of the gym to find something equally awkward. I can only describe it as the typical beach scene of a movie where the girl shakes out her flowing long hair, gracefully skipping to the non-existant music, while wearing a practically non-existant outfit. It's one of those where at first I felt awkward for looking the way I did but then I realized that I'm the normal one. It's not normal to apply make-up while walking on a treadmill. Nor is it fathomable to naturally be as tan as these girls are in the middle of February. Believe me...I'm Greek, it's not possible!

In all honesty, the scene saddens me as we have this fantastic location to get healthy and feel good and yet the majority of people who attend dressed and acting the way they do have such an un-healthy self-esteem (whether it be too low- or obnoxiously high). I'm grateful for the real people in my life that continually accept me for exactly who I am. May you never doubt the way the Lord has created you. You are wonderfully and beautifully made!

No comments:

Post a Comment